Using hardwood flooring is an easy way to improve the durability, value, and look of your home. This flooring can be installed in room in your home. When looking at hardwood flooring there are different ways in which to categorize this type of flooring. There are also different installation methods
Form of the wood
• Acrylic impregnated wood-this is made of a combination of acrylic and solid wood to create a stronger material. This material Impressions Hardwood Flooring Line Bloomington IL 61701 is strong enough to withstand heavy traffic.
• Engineered wood-this type is made of thinner pieces of wood and layers them on top of each other. The grain of the wood are alternated in layers going in different directions. Being criss-crossed will made it able to withstand more force and weight
• Solid wood
How it is laid out and size of material
• Strips-this is generally measured in long pieces of wood of various Bloomington IL 61701 size widths from 1.5 inches to 2.25 inches
• Planks-these long pieces of wood are wider than a strip and measure at least three inches wide.
• Parquet floors-this is an intricate pattern that uses pieces of wood, to configure a geometric pattern. It will often take the form of small strips that produce small squares. The squares usually alternate directions but can have other designs such as a zigzag look.
Many hardwood Maple and Oak - The One-Two Punch in Hardwood Flooring Bloomington IL 61701 floors are fastened to the sub floor, which is the floor below the hardwood floor, by using staples, nails, or glue. There is also a floating floor, which is not attached to the subfloor. To protect against moister and to absorb sound a foam underlay is put on top of the subfloor. The hardwood floor is not attached to the foam underlay or subfloor. They either snap or glue together in a tongue Bloomington IL 61701 and groove fashion. The entire floor “floats” above the sub floor. This type is often preferred because they can be put over nearly any type of surface and are easy to install.
How it is treated
The hardwood floor can be stained to give it a light or dark look. They can also be left untreated or natural. Other treatments can include antiquing, crackling, or whitewashing.
Types of finishes
When a hardwood floor is finished, a top Bloomington IL 61701 coat penetrates deep into the wood or lies on the surface.
• Surface finish—this finish uses varnishes and urethanes. With this finish, you have to consider the odor, ease in application, durability, and drying time.
• Deep finish-this is the one that penetrates deep into the wood and will require an additional coat of wax to give it a shine.
• Sheen-this includes low or high gloss and satin finishes